The 2020 Pan-African competition in low-cost technologies served to identify and develop next generation of young scientists, leaders, and entrepreneurs in Africa. It was open to all countries of Africa.
UK: Stoyan Smoukov, Kaspar Althoefer, London, UK
Africa: African Spectral Imaging Network (AFSIN, http://afsinnet.net), Ivory Coast
- Design and fabricate a proof-of-concept low cost instruments using a microcontroller in these themes:
1. COVID-19 or malaria-related innovation
2. Robotics and/or automation in the fields of agricultural, energy, or medical use
3. Entrepreneurship in upcycling of computer hard drives into centrifuges for field diagnostics
- Develop technical and entrepreneurial innovation capacities of young scientists in African countries.