The third workshop of the AFSIN network will be hosted in the University of Nairobi, Kenya from the 15th to 29th of September, 2012. Prof.Kenneth Kaduki (Chairman, Department of Physics, University of Nairobi) is the local organizer of the workshop. The workshop is sponsored by the ISP, Uppsala University, Sweden, Atomic and Molecular Spectroscopy group, Lund University Sweden and the University of Nairobi, Kenya.
Kenyan organizers arrange:
- Malaria infested thin blood smear samples
- Motor generator, and gasoline
- Several large parasols or open “party” tents for sun and rain protection
- Field site / range available and accessible day and night time
- Poster presentation, minimum one per lab
- Microscope laptops
- Ocean optics USB spectrometer
- Powerpoint presentations according to program
- Multispectral microscope if it is not fully operational
Participants read: (Study materials have already been distributed via the official yahoo group)
- A.Merdasa, M. Brydegaard, S. Svanberg, and J. T. Zoueu, “Staining free malaria diagnostics by multispectral and multimodality light emitting diode microscopy”, manuscript 2012
- J. Ålebring, “Multispectral microscopy”, Master´s thesis to be provided later.
- Benjamin K. Wilson, Matthew R. Behrend, Matthew P. Horning, Michael C. Hegg, “Detection of malarial byproduct hemozoin utilizing its unique scattering properties”, Optics Express, 19, 2011
- Anna Runemark, Maren Wellenreuther, Hiran H. E. Jayaweera, Sune Svanberg and Mikkel Brydegaard, ”Rare Events in Remote Dark Field Spectroscopy: An Ecological Case study of Insects,” JSTQE, 2012
- Mei, L., Guan, Z. G., Zhou, H. J., Lv, J., Zhu, Z. R., Cheng, J. A., Chen, F. J., Löfstedt, C., Svanberg, S., Somesfalean, G., ” Mei, L., Guan, Z. G., Zhou, H. J., Lv, J., Zhu, Z. R., Cheng, J. A., Chen, F. J., Löfstedt, C., Svanberg, S., Somesfalean, G.”, Applied Physics B, 106, 2011
- Kevin S. Repasky, Joseph A. Shaw, Ryan Scheppele, Christopher Melton, John L. Carsten and Lee H. Spangler, “Optical detection of honeybees by use of wing-beat modulation of scattered laser light for locating explosives and land mines,” Appl. Opt., 45, 2006
- A. Moore and R. H. Miller, “Automated Identification of Optically Sensed Aphid (Homoptera: Aphidae) Wingbeat Waveforms,” Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am., 95, 2002
Participants from the following countries do not need to apply for visa from their countries. The will be granted visa at the airport on payment of the visa fees. Invitation letter, vaccination card and return ticket will be required.
- SRI LANKA
- BURKINA FASO
- IVORY COAST
Participants from the following countries will need to apply for visa.